Mould: A little water can go a long way towards major damage in your home, and here in New Zealand there is no shortage of water falling from the sky. Water damage can become a big problem if not properly taken care of immediately. In some cases, home owners don’t even realise water is leaking into their ceilings, walls, window joinery or even their floors.

Watch a short 17 second video here showing what hidden mold looks like.

Building methods in NZ are tightening up, but over the past 20yrs there has been many weather tightness issues, but the average home owner won’t see the water that seeps into suspect areas around the decks, flashings and exterior penetrations. When was the last time you climbed on your roof to inspect for penetrations, loose screws or cracks in the tiles? When water seeps into walls, ceilings, etc. it can cause serious structural problems… and by the time the home owner realises something is wrong, it’s a result of a family member becoming sick. The home owner then finds out the family’s illness could be due to mould. There are numerous documented cases of mouldy homes causing serious, permanent illness in both children and adults. In a nutshell, wet climates can cause unprecedented mould growth, and New Zealand is no exception.

Moulds and mildew are everywhere in our environment, and in nature, they perform the very important function of breaking down organic matter. These microbes need very little to survive and thrive: air, moisture (liquid water isn’t necessary, most species propagate with only 40%-60% relative humidity), and food. Fungi are especially fond of building materials like sheetrock and wood, carpets, and enjoy soft goods such as furniture and clothes. Mould are most often found in areas that have high humidity levels such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms or damp basements (especially after flooding or heavy rain).

Can mould cause health problems? Moulds certainly have the potential to cause health problems. The odor of mould indicates there are live mould spores floating in the air. These spores may be breathed in and cause respiratory illnesses and distress. Using our thermal imaging camera, we can detect likely areas of mould growth.

Is your child sleeping up against a wall that is full of mould? Are you?

Moulds are divided into 2 basic groups:

Allergenic: Moulds that can cause symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, runny nose. Moulds that can cause suppressed immune systems.

Toxic: Moulds that can cause serious health effects in almost everyone. These effects can be short-term irritations to even cancers. Inhaling or touching mold or mould spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mould exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold­ allergic and non-allergic people. Mould can cause illness, and certainly should be checked by a certified thermographer.

Don’t wait… contact us today and we’ll quickly see what’s happening behind your walls. All our services are non-invasive which means we don’t put holes in your wall to see what’s behind them.

Leak Detection – Pre-Purchase Inspection – Heat Loss Inspection